What is Streets Ahead?
Streets Ahead is a scheme that can assist Tasmanians on low to moderate incomes to become home owners. It provides both financial assistance and further support to assist you to buy a house. Under this scheme you can only buy a house for sale from Housing Tasmania.
Financial assistance is available:
- payment of deposit assistance – a grant of $6 000
- payment of mortgage insurance premium – up to $500
- payment of legal costs - up to $500
The additional support available is:
- independent financial counselling –available from Anglicare free of charge. Financial counselling can help you to assess your budget and ability to buy a house. Anglicare can be contacted on 03 6234 3510.
- independent building report – available free of charge once the purchase contract has been signed by you and Housing Tasmania. If the building report shows a structural defect, you can change your mind about buying the house.
- advice on property valuation information held by Housing Tasmania. Housing Tasmania will recommend you get further advice from a local real estate on the current market values in the area. However, if the sale goes ahead, Housing Tasmania will organise a Government valuation which will decide the final price for sale.
Essential Maintenance Package
The Essential Maintenance Package helps Streets Ahead purchasers by providing financial assistance if an essential major item in the home (such as a hot water cylinder) fails after you buy a house from Housing Tasmania.
You can make as many claims as you need, up to a limit of $2 000 per house.
For more information on the Essential Maintenance Package.
Am I eligible for Streets Ahead?
Click here to find out if you are eligible.
What are the conditions of Streets Ahead?
Housing Tasmania has a condition (called a caveat) over the property that applies for a period of three years.
The conditions of the Street Ahead scheme include:
- you must live in the property as your main place of residence
- you must provide the correct information about your eligibility
- you must not sell all or part of the property within three years of buying the property (or five years in the case of house and land packages).
If you do not follow these or other conditions of Streets Ahead, then you may need to repay the financial assistance up to $7 000 within 28 days of a request in writing from the Director to do so.
What property can I buy under Streets Ahead?
You can only buy a Housing Tasmania sale property. Click here to see properties available for sale.
How do I apply for Streets Ahead?
For more information on Streets Ahead assistance please phone Housing Tasmania's Customer Service Hotline on 1800 808 340.