The Patient Travel Assistance Scheme (PTAS) provides financial help with travel and/or accommodation costs to Tasmanian residents who need to travel:
- more than 50 km (one way) to the nearest oncology or dialysis treatment centre
- more than 75 km (one way) to the nearest appropriate specialist medical service
- more than 75 km (one way) to access lymphoedema treatment
from their permanent residence. Benefits are only paid for interstate referrals when the treatment is unavailable in Tasmania.
If you need more information on the government's response and action plan or the independent reviews, please follow this link www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/futurehealth
Better travel support and service
The scheme was enhanced from 1 December 2008 to include:
- An increase to the petrol allowance from 13 cents to 19 cents per kilometre, making Tasmania’s scheme on top of other Australian jurisdictions
- An increase to the commercial accommodation rate from $30 per person per night to a maximum of $46 for intrastate accommodation and up to $64 interstate accommodation per person per night – again, making Tasmania’s scheme above other Australian jurisdictions
- Patients who need to travel more than 50 km (one way) to access the nearest dialysis or oncology treatment centre are entitled to PTAS benefits
- Patients who travel for lymphoedema treatment are eligible for PTAS benefits
- A new simplified PTAS application form can be submitted electronically
PTAS Application Form
The new PTAS application form is streamlined to reduce and simplify the amount of information an applicant has to give us.
Download the PTAS Application Form or obtain it from your local PTAS Office or Service Tasmania shop.
Application Form Submission Instructions
Submit applications by email, fax, post or deliver in person to your local PTAS office. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to fill out and submit the PTAS application form online.
a. complete the form by typing directly into the boxes provided
b. save the completed form with a new file name “Patient's first name_Patient's last name”
c. choose the "Print Form" button to prepare a copy for your records
d. click the "Submit by Email" to send the completed form
2. Fax or post or submit the form in person
a. choose the "Print Form" button to print an application form
b. complete the form
c. fax or post or bring the completed form to your local PTAS office
Please fill in all applicable information in the application form correctly. Incomplete or inaccurate information will lead to delay in the process.