Our competitive employment benefits
We are a flexible employer with great working conditions and attractive salaries. Tasmanian State Service conditions apply, with many and varying benefits, including:
- Short or long term employment opportunities
- Full time or part-time work, flexible rosters
- Assisted Study / Post Graduate Loan Scheme
- Family friendly initiatives such as 12 weeks paid maternity leave and the State Service Accumulated Leave Scheme
- Competitive salary packages that includes salary packaging at our public hospitals which can provide significant financial advantages
- A comprehensive leave package
- Worklife balance initiatives
- Training and development
- Conjoint appointments and links with the University of Tasmania through Partners in Health
- Superb lifestyle choices and support to move to Tasmania. Relocation assistance, reimbursement may be provided if you are relocating from interstate or overseas. Special accommodation allowance may be payable. Accommodation is also available at some of our rural and remote sites.
Find out more
|Salary rates||State Service Accumulated Leave Scheme|
|Salary packaging||Flexibility and worklife balance initiatives|
|Salary Sacrifice||Employee Assistance Program|
|Superannuation||Supporting your move to Tasmania|
If you are a Department of Health and Human Services employee, working within a hospital (including district hospitals), the Tasmanian Ambulance Service, or Palliative Care Services it is likely that you will be able to access the Agency's salary packaging program.
The Australian Government has made exemptions for fringe benefits available to employers of medical and ambulance staff to enable them to attract and retain employees. As a result DHHS is able to provide a limited amount of fringe benefits at the rate of $9,095 pa per employee to eligible employees without incurring fringe benefits tax (FBT) and this deduction is free of income tax.( More...)
Salary sacrifice is an arrangement where you can forego a portion of your normal fortnightly remuneration in order to allow your employer to make additional contributions to a complying superannuation fund of your choice. (More ...)
The department will contribute 9% of any salary payments (including ordinary hours, leave, penalties and overtime) to a complying superannuation fund of the employee’s choice as Employer Superannuation Contributions. In addition the employee can make personal contributions (after tax) or salary sacrifice (pre tax) contributions to the employee’s chosen superannuation fund.
Those who do not elect to join a particular fund will be automatically joined up with the Retirement Benefits Fund. The standard employee contribution is 5% of salary, however, the rate of contribution is variable and no employee contribution is required. Contribution rates may be varied at any time.
We provide a comprehensive leave package, find out more about our Leave provisions. Find out more.
SSALS allows the employer to approve plans under which participating employees will, by taking a reduction in normal salary for a given period, become entitled at the end of that period to a pre-determined amount of accumulated leave during which the will be paid at the same reduced rate.
Flexible working arrangements assist employees to balance work and non-work commitments and may be suitable in any individual instance and could include non-standard and variable starting and/or finishing times, part-time work and job sharing. These are considered in light of the operational needs to the employer. (More...)
Our EAP is a confidential counselling service for employees and their immediate dependent family members. As part of our commitment to occupational health and safety, we have contracted a national corporate psychology and human resource consulting firm to provide independent and confidential counselling.