The Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (Tasmania) Act 2010 allows limited registration to be granted to enable a health professional to practice in an Area of Need.
It also prescribes that the determination of an Area of Need resides with the responsible Minister and the Minister may delegate this power.
The Principal Medical Advisor, Deputy Principal Medical Advisor and Medical Director, General Practice and Primary Care carry ministerial delegations for Area of Need declarations under section 67 (5) of the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (Tasmania).
The Area of Need Declaration Policy provides the process that health services wishing to apply for an Area of Need Declaration must follow; principles that underpin the declaration of an Area of Need in Tasmania, and criteria against which all Area of Need applications are assessed by the Minister or their delegate.
The process of granting an Area of Need Declaration will be managed in line with the principles of natural justice and procedural fairness ensuring high ethical standards are maintained.
Applications will only be considered via the formally documented process and assessed against published criteria as detailed in the Area of Need Assessment Protocol.
- Area of Need Declaration Policy (this Policy is currently under review)
- Area of Need Process Flow Chart for Applications
- Area of Need Assessment Protocol (this Protocol is currently under review)
- Area of Need Application Form
For further information please contact:
General Practitioner: General Practice and Primary Care at email@example.com or call (03) 6777 2987.
Specialist: The Office of Principal Medical Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (03) 6166 0410.
Area of Need Declaration listings for GPs and Specialists
These links are updated quarterly
- General Practitioner Declarations
- Specialist Declarations
District of Workforce Shortage
Area of Need Declarations for general practitioner and rural placements are closely linked with District of Workforce Shortage Declarations (DWS Declarations).
DWS Declarations are determined by the Department of Health and Ageing and are linked to the provision of Medicare Provider Numbers.
Further information and a listing of DWS locations can be found on the Doctor Connect website
Area of Need links
- Health Recruitment Plus: information for doctors wishing to work as GPs in Tasmania
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency: information on what is needed for registration within Australia
- Doctors Connect: Australian Government website
- Department of Health and Human Services Careers Website: information on Tasmania itself with vacancies listed
- Health Practitioner Regulation National Law as enacted by the Queensland Parliament
- Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (Tasmania) Act 2010