The Patient Travel Assistance Scheme (PTAS) provides financial help with travel and/or accommodation costs to Tasmanian residents who need to travel:
- more than 50 km (one way) to the nearest oncology or dialysis treatment centre
- more than 75 km (one way) to the nearest appropriate specialist medical service
- more than 75 km (one way) to access lymphoedema treatment
from their permanent residence. Benefits are only paid for interstate referrals when the treatment is unavailable in Tasmania.
Please note that rates for assistance and co-contribution may change from time to time. The last change occurred 1 July 2014, please see brochures for details.
- Information pamphlet for Patients - Travelling within Tasmania to access specialist medical services
- Information pamphlet for Patients - Travelling outside Tasmania to access specialist medical services
- Information booklet for Patients - Frequently asked questions
- Information booklet for Medical Practitioners
- PTAS A3 Poster
- PTAS Policy
- PTAS Operational Protocols
- Accommodation Handbook - Royal Hobart Hospital
- Accommodation Handbook - Launceston General Hospital
- Accommodation Handbook - North West Regional Hospital
PTAS Application Form
The new PTAS application form is streamlined to reduce and simplify the amount of information an applicant has to give us.
Download the PTAS Application Form or obtain it from your local PTAS Office or Service Tasmania shop.
Application Form Submission Instructions
Submit applications by email, fax, post or deliver in person to your local PTAS office. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to fill out and submit the PTAS application form online.
a. complete the form by typing directly into the boxes provided
b. save the completed form with a new file name - Patient's first name_Patient's last name
c. choose the "Print Form" button to prepare a copy for your records
d. click the "Submit by Email" to send the completed form
2. Fax or post or submit the form in person
a. choose the "Print Form" button to print an application form
b. complete the form
c. fax or post or bring the completed form to your local PTAS office
Please fill in all applicable information in the application form correctly. Incomplete or inaccurate information will lead to delay in the process.