The State Government has delivered on its commitment to deliver a ten year Affordable Housing Strategy to improve access to affordable, safe and appropriate homes for all Tasmanians.
This Strategy is supported by a four year Action Plan that provides an additional $73.5 million in investment over the four years to reduce housing stress and homelessness in Tasmania.
This investment will see almost 1600 vulnerable Tasmanian households housed over the next four years, which will be supported by the construction of over 900 new homes, and support for access to existing homes.
This Strategy aims to decrease the number of low income Tasmanian households experiencing housing stress and reduce the number of Tasmanians experiencing homelessness.
It has been developed through extensive consultation with a wide range of stakeholders including the housing supply sector and support service sector.
The new initiatives contained in the Action Plan include:
Community Housing Stock Leverage Program ($0.5M - 150 Homes)
A Request for Proposal process will be conducted later this year for proposals from community housing providers that can leverage new supply from the existing social housing portfolio.
Private Developer Social Housing Grants ($7M - 27 Homes)
To purchase homes from builders and developers under a Request for Tender released in 2015-16. The new homes will be located in areas of high demand and close to services, especially in the North and North West
HomeShare Program ($2.8M - 50 Homes per annum)
The additional funding for HomeShare will help an additional 50 Tasmanian households into home ownership, who otherwise could not obtain finance.
Fathers and Kids Accommodation Facility ($2.5M - Seven Units & 12 Beds)
This new facility, in Southern Tasmania and managed by Hobart City Mission, will meet the need for supported accommodation for fathers and their children.
Affordable Housing Supply Site Preparation ($200k)
New supply will be generated from land release for construction of affordable homes.
The Government is investing in affordable housing solutions for Tasmanians in need, including older Tasmanians.
- Tasmania's Affordable Housing Strategy 2015-2025
- Tasmania's Affordable Housing Strategy 2015-2025 - Accessible Version
- Tasmania's Affordable Housing – Action Plan 2015-2019
- Tasmania's Affordable Housing - Action Plan 2015-2019 - Accessible Version
- University of Tasmania Discussion Paper – Key Issues and Innovations
- Quarterly Housing Report June 2016 [PDF] | Quarterly Housing Report June 2016 [MS WORD]
- Quarterly Housing Report September 2016 [PDF] | Quarterly Housing Report September 2016 [MS WORD]
- Quarterly Housing Report December 2016 [PDF] | Quarterly Housing Report December 2016 [MS WORD] - Accessible Version
- Quarterly Housing Report March 2017 [PDF] | Quarterly Housing Report March 2017 [MS WORD]