Oral Health Services Tasmania has developed an exciting new school based fissure sealant and fluoride varnish program to help prevent tooth decay in children around 6 and 12 years of age.
Evidence shows that:
- Fissure Sealants can help prevent and reduce tooth decay on the biting surfaces of the back adult teeth.
- Fluoride Varnish can prevent decay and strengthen both the baby and adult teeth.
- Are thin adhesive coatings that are painted on the grooves or fissures of the back teeth to prevent decay.
- Help protect the permanent or adult 6 year old and 12 year old molars from decay if they are applied soon after the teeth appear in the mouth.
- Prevent cavities on the chewing surfaces.
- Make the teeth easier to clean.
- Can last for many years.
- Is quick and easy to apply.
- Sticks to the tooth for many hours and the concentration of fluoride helps strengthen the tooth surface.
- Is well accepted by children.