Public Health Services
Public Health Services works to improve and protect the health and wellbeing of all Tasmanians. We partner with individuals, groups and communities statewide to achieve this outcome.
Because prevention is better (and cheaper) than cure we aim to:
- protect Tasmanians from public and environmental health hazards
- prevent and reduce chronic diseases and injuries
- prepare for and respond to public health emergencies like flu pandemics
- promote good health
- reduce inequalities in health.
For more information visit:
- About Us: includes information about our structure, the Director of Public Health and the Public Health Act
- Air quality: includes a real-time smoke monitor for Tasmanian regions
- Communicable diseases: includes information about notifiable disease and their prevention
- Flu and you: all about flu and how you can protect yourself
- Food safety: includes food safety information for consumers and businesses
- Healthy communities: includes Aboriginal health, sexual health, health literacy and other topics
- Health data: includes reports on the distribution of diseases in Tasmania
- Immunisation: provides information you need to protect you and your loved ones against many serious diseases
- Infection prevention and control: provides independent advice and information about healthcare associated infections
- Move Well Eat Well: promotes and provides resources for healthy eating and physical activity at early childhood centres and primary schools
- Nutrition and physical activity: things you can do to help improve your health and wellbeing
- Public Health Act and Associated Guidelines: the Director of Public Health has issued guidelines under the Public Health Act 1997 that contain compulsory requirements for certain people to follow.
- Pharmaceutical services: manages policy, develops legislation and ensures compliance with regulations for making, distribution, possession and use of drugs and poisons
- Public Health Alerts: all the latest public safety information
- Radiation protection: includes information about protection from radiation sources
- Tobacco management: includes information about smoking laws and restrictions, tobacco licences and quitting.
- Water quality: provides information, warnings and advice about Tasmania's water resources.
Follow us on Twitter
GPO Box 125 Hobart TAS 7001