New Historical Displays at LGH

Launceston General Hospital

New Historical Displays on level 3 at the LGH

Display cabinet with books and historical memorabiliaIn late 2018 it was decided to move the Sir John Ramsay bronze busy and surgical cabinet from the ARTrium Gallery –NICS building to a new display area on level 3 of the LGH. The new area is a niche walkway which is the entrance from the east carpark to the level three main street of the hospital and is known as the QV entrance. Once the bust was settled in a new cabinet of surgical instruments known as the Tim Haas collection was installed following the generous donation from Tim to the LGH Historical Committee. This year a new double cabinet has been added to the display housing several items of interest which include:

  • A silver pendant, which belonged to the First Lady Superintendent of the Launceston General Hospital.  It was discovered on an auction site by a New Zealand bidder in August this year. The pendant had been presented to Mrs Sarah Elizabeth Wane on her resignation as Lady Superintendent of the Launceston General Hospital in 1886. Prior to this, the term Matron had been used.
  • Two bound volumes of patient histories circa 1900.
  • The most recent donation of a Phillip McConnel ceramic, a small bowl.

Mrs Wane’s PendentPhillip McConnel’s ceramics

Photos above: Mrs Wane's Pendent  and Phillip McConnel’s ceramics

Bound volumes of patient histories c 1900

Photo above: Bound volumes of patient histories c 1900

The Tim Haas Donation of Surgical instruments displayed in glass cabinet.
A recent donation of a mortician’s instrument set will be placed on display in due course.

It is the intention of the committee to display recent acquisition / donations of medical interest.

Also a new display of pharmacy memorabilia will be on display on level 3 very soon (Pharmacy waiting area).

Photo left: The Tim Haas Donation of Surgical instruments