Buying a house can seem complicated, especially if it's your first time. There are many things to consider such as:
What do I do about getting a loan? Can I afford it? Where do I want to live?
Housing affordability is an issue for many Tasmanians. Fortunately, Housing Tasmania provides some assistance that can help you to become a home owner.
Please note you may only access Streets Ahead OR HomeShare assistance, not both.
Some Housing Tasmania properties are also available for sale on the open market.
Properties for sale are placed on the website and updated regularly.
If you are buying your first home, you may be able to access the First Home Buyers Grant. This is provided through the State Revenue Office.
This First Home Buyers Grant is a one-off payment of up to $7 000. The grant is not means tested (it is not based on your income) and there is no cap on the value of a home.
More information can be found at:
- Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading – information about conveyancers and renting a home.
- State Revenue Office – information about buying and owning a home.
- Real Estate Institute of Tasmania – information about sales trends and frequently asked questions about buying/selling and renting.
- Housing Industry Association – information about the building industry.
- Rights and Responsibilities information about rights and responsibilities when buying a home or renting a home.
I live in a Housing Tasmania House, can I buy it?
If you are a tenant living in a Housing Tasmania house, you can write to Housing Tasmania and apply to buy the house. You will need to find out if a bank or other financial institution will approve a home loan. In your letter you must include a loan pre-approval from your bank or financial institution. Housing Tasmania will consider your letter and let you know if the house is approved for sale.
Director of HousingGPO Box 125HOBART TAS 7001
If you have made any improvements to the house you are renting, you may have the value of improvements discounted from the purchase price of the house. This discount is subject to approval by Housing Tasmania. Housing Tasmania will organise an assessment of the value of improvements.
Note that Housing Tasmania does not offer a rent to buy scheme.